The statements below describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this role. They are not intended to be a complete list of all duties, and additional responsibilities may be delegated as required.
1. Participates in direct patient care and home hemodialysis training.
2. Provides instruction to patient and partner on the setup and priming of the home hemodialysis system.
3. Instructs patient and partner on cannulation of the access.
4. Instructs patient and partner on monitoring during home hemodialysis, safety checks, and prevention of potential complications during treatment.
5. Instructs patient and partner in following physician prescription for hemodialysis treatment.
6. Instructs patient and partner in the administration of any medications ordered during treatment.
7. Instructs patient and partner in discontinuation of dialysis, return of blood, breakdown, cleaning and maintenance of the system.
8. After instruction of items 1 through 7, documents successful completion of training with return demonstration and completion of a Competency Skills Checklist.
9. Communicates with patient/partner and identifies problems, symptoms or patient complaints to the attending physician.
10. Other duties as assigned.